We all reach points in the day when we need a little boost. But, if we want to lead a fit and healthy lifestyle then we need to make sure our body is fuelled with a regular supply of energy.
Selecting the right snacks is vital to make sure you re-stock your body with the right nutrients in a way that doesn’t jeopardise your whole regime.
Here are some ideas on hat to keep within arm’s reach in your office so that you can ensure your snacks are healthy and beneficial…
- Peanut butter: Yep, this tasty treat could and should be a part of your diet. Surprised? Don’t be. Of course you shouldn’t wolf down copious amounts, but a spoon here or there gets you a splattering of ‘good’ healthy fats. Spread some over rice cakes, whole wheat crackers or even slices of apple for a great at-desk snack.
- Nuts: Peanut butter isn’t the only nutty snack to add to your office snack list. Many nuts are a great source of fibre and vitamins. Pick your favourite and weigh out sensible 30g portions (taking a bag could lead to over-indulgence!). Almonds are a great source of Vitamin E, magnesium and calcium, cashews are great for copper, pecans contain Antioxidants, vitamin E, and monounsaturated fats – the possibilities are endless.
- Banana: Potassium, fibre, vitamins – all handily wrapped in an ideal portion size. Bananas are nature’s way of answering our desk snack dilemmas for us.
- Popcorn: Keep to fairly plain air-popped popcorn – none of that bad-for-you cinema stuff – and you’ll have a whole grain fibre-filled snack to get you through the working day.
- Blueberries: Take some vitamin C and K, fibre, manganese and other antioxidants and roll them into a tasty superfood and you’ve got blueberries. Find out what makes them so super by snacking away at work.
- Brownies: Brownies are the perfect way to bake up some tasty goodies that include some protein powder. We’d recommend rustling up a tasty batch at the weekend and cutting them up into a daily dose of protein-packed goodness.
- Wasabi peas: The protein and fibre in these salty little spicy snacks will be a perfect pick-me-up to get you through an afternoon in the office.
- Dark chocolate: Need a regular fix of chocolate in your life? Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. Make it dark chocolate – 60% cocoa or above – and you’ll have a snack that can reduce cholesterol and be pretty good for you.
- Veg: There’s something satisfying about the crunch of a decent vegetable. Pick your favourite – celery or carrot – and team it up with a low fat dip or hummus to get yourself a nutritious and satisfyingly tasty office snack.
- Yoghurt: Great in its own right or as an accompaniment to fruit, this is a perfect pick-me-up that can help you to get some protein too.
Those ten ideas should give you plenty of food for thought and help to transform your office snacks into something that benefits, rather than harms, your diet.